As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made on my website. Many links may be affiliate links that provide income from sales.
It is a frustrating experience when your mic stops working on your Turtle Beach gaming headset microphone. When this happens, don’t panic! Check out the 3 solutions below to help you fix the issue and get back to gaming in no time.
If your Turtle Beach headphones have issues with the microphone there are a few causes. The most common being microphone settings, sound settings, or audio drivers being out of date, failing, or just corrupt.
Let’s go over some possible issues and then talk about how to do driver updates and use the control panel in windows to check and configure settings to help you get back to gaming.
Check Your Mic Device Settings
First and foremost is to simply disconnect and reconnect your mic. This is a quick fix, but the easiest solutions are sometimes the best option.
If your microphone isn’t working, it’s probably because it was either disabled, not set as the default device, or due to you set a very low volume or muted volume set.
If you are using them on a Windows-based pc then you can follow the steps below:
- Hold down the windows logo and press the R button on your keyboard. Type in “Control” to open the control panel.
- Once you are in the control panel, click on “sound.”
- In the Recording tab, right-click on any space in the window and select “show disabled devices.”
- If you see your microphone here, select it.
- To set your headset as the default device, right-click on it and select “Set as Default Device.”
- Right-click the microphone again and then select properties.
- Click on the Levels tab and make sure the volume controls are all the way up.
- To exit, click Ok two times
The Turtle Beach headphone mic is on and the volume is turned up to its maximum level. You should be able to test it now and hear yourself in the headphones.
Update your Audio Drivers
If your headphones do not work, then you need to check the driver. You might have an outdated driver. The problem will be fixed by updating the drivers. Update them manually or automatically.
If you want to update your Turtle Beach drivers, here is a list of all of the current Turtle Beach drivers:
Follow the on-screen prompts and choose your computer’s model to update your headphones.
In most cases, going through these two troubleshooting processes will fix the problem. But there are some cases where this does not work. If you continue to have problems, continue on to more troubleshooting options.
If either of the two main troubleshooting methods above didn’t work, there is a good chance that there is a hardware issue with your computer or with your headphones.
To find out which one is having problems, connect another headset to your computer and see if they work. If they do not, you might have a problem with the audio or mic jack itself on your computer.
If the other headset does work, it is likely that there is a problem with the Turtle Beach headset.
Do a test to make sure that the headphone is connected, and if there are any visual damages. If you do not see anything obvious, contact Turtle Beach to see if they can help you fix it or give you a new one.
If the headphones still don’t work, you might need a new pair as these may just be at the end of their useful life. These are some of the best gaming headphones that people, like YouTubers, enjoy.
More In-Depth Fixes
Option One: Validate Headphone Mic Configured For Recording
The first thing you want to do is make sure your headset mic is enabled for recording.
Follow these steps:
- Right-click the Speaker icon on your taskbar then select Sounds.
- Switch to the Recording tab and find your headset device. If you don’t see it, right-click on the empty area then select Show Disabled Devices.
- Right-click the headset then select Enable.
- Click Apply then OK.
- Check if your mic works. If not, try the next solution
Option Two: Set your headset as the input device
When you plug in your Turtle Beach headset to your computer, it is likely that it will not automatically be set as the default audio input device.
To do it manually:
- On your taskbar, right-click the Speaker icon then click Open Sound settings.
- Set your headset as the input device. You can also click App volume and device preferences for advanced options.
- You’ll be able to adjust the volume and output/input device for different apps as you need.
You should find out if your headset microphone can record your voice. If it doesn’t work, move on to the next solution.
Option Three: Update your audio driver
A bad driver can cause problems. When your microphone is not working, you should update the audio driver on your computer so it will work again.
Windows has a program called Device Manager. This helps you update the drivers for your computer. It does not update its database very often, so it may be that you need a new driver even though Windows will not detect it.
Option Four: Turn on microphone access on your PC
It is possible that the microphone on your PC has been turned off so a headset doesn’t work.
To check and if needed turn on the microphone access on your computer:
- In the search bar next to the Start button, type microphone then click Microphone privacy settings.
- Click Change, then turn on the microphone access for this device.
Make sure your headset mic is working. If that does not work, try the last solution below.
Option Five: Re-enable your headset mic via Device Manager
Even if you connect the headset to your computer, sometimes your system will not be able to find it.
You may manually turn off and re-enable your headset in Device Manager to see if it makes a difference.:
- Press the Windows logo key and R on your keyboard to invoke the Run box.
- Type devmgmt.msc, then click OK.
- Under Audio inputs and outputs, right-click your headset then select Disable Device.
- Again right-click your headset, then select Enable device.
Check if your headset mic works.
Final Thoughts on Turtle Beach Headphones
If you’re having problems with your Turtle Beach microphone, it could be because the mic is not enabled for recording or because there’s a problem with the headset jack itself.
If you have another set of headphones that works and are certain that they’re connected to the computer properly, then this may point towards a failure on behalf of your Turtle Springs headset.
If all else fails, consider purchasing a new pair of gaming headphones from any one of our highly recommended options below.
|Turtle Beach Ear Force Recon 50 Gaming Headset for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, & PC/Mac||Prime||Buy Now|
|Turtle Beach Recon 70 Gaming Headset for Xbox One & Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, PS4 Pro & PS4, Nintendo Switch, and Mobile||Prime||Buy Now|
|Turtle Beach Recon 200 Amplified Gaming Headset for Xbox and PlayStation||Prime||Buy Now|
|Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 Premium Wireless Gaming Headset for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S||Prime||Buy Now|
|Turtle Beach Elite Pro 2 White Pro Performance Gaming Headset for Xbox One, PC, PS4, XB1, Nintendo Switch, and Mobile||Prime||Buy Now|
|Recon 500 Wired Multiplatform Gaming Headset for Xbox Series X|S, XB1, PlayStation 5, PS4 and Nintendo Switch - Black||Prime||Buy Now|