As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made on my website. Many links may be affiliate links that provide income from sales.
Gaming is not just for those we used to call nerds back in the day. The number of people who like to enjoy a good gaming session has grown; we no longer just see kids and teenage boys. These days, we see grown-up men and women enjoying games and streamers that have started to share their games on Twitch and Youtube.
With this growth, the necessity of having some gadgets has increased also, but today you came here wondering if it is necessary to buy the Xbox One Headset for your console or if it is possible to start by using a regular pair of earbuds.
Yes, it is possible to use regular earbuds on Xbox One as long as you have any recent version of the Xbox One controller with the 3.5mm audio jack. You just need to look for this audio jack on the controller and plug in the earbuds. Xbox One does not feature Bluetooth functionality.
If you were wondering if it was possible to connect your EarPods or any other wireless earbuds, Xbox One does not have integrated Bluetooth features. Therefore, if you want to go with a wireless option, you will need to purchase a compatible Xbox Wireless Headset or get a little creative.
In this article, we will talk a little about how to connect regular earbuds or headsets with a 3.5mm audio jack, how to connect an adapter, how to connect with other types of cables, and, the most exciting part, how to go wireless without using the Xbox Wireless Headset.
If your Xbox Wireless Controller has a 3.5mm connection, you may attach a headset with a standard 3.5mm jack to it directly. The 3.5mm port on the controller’s bottom is a tiny circular port.
There are differences in the standards of 3.5mm audio jacks. There are two different types of audio jacks:
- Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association (CTIA).
- Open Mobile Terminal Platform (OMTP).
If you use an OMTP headset, you will most likely have audio or chat problems. You may purchase an adaptor to convert your headset or earbuds to CTIA if they use the OMTP standard. These adapters may be found at a variety of electrical retailers.
It is possible to connect an Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter to the controller by connecting it to the controller’s rectangular expansion port on the bottom. After this, you can connect a compatible 3.5mm audio jack to the adapter.
On the stereo headset adapter, press the chat audio button until just chat audio is heard. As you hold your controller, the chat audio button can be found in the lower-left corner of the adapter.
In case you have a stereo chat headset, you should connect it to the audio output of the TV, monitor, or consoleâ€”the main types of connectors and RCA cables and S/PDIF optical audio cables.
Connect the RCA cables from the headset or the base station to the audio-out ports on your TV. The RCA cables’ ends have a cylinder casing with a thin pin projecting from the center.
Keep in mind:
- The TV must have RCA audio output connectors or 3.5mm headphone jack output. If using 3.5mm, you will need a 3.5mm mini-to-RCA adapter.
- Xbox One Stereo Headset and other gaming headsets use a single 3.5mm audio cable for chat and gaming. The headsets are directly connected to the adapter of the stereo headset.
Connect the S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format) optical cable from the headset to the back of your TV, monitor, or console. The S/PDIF cable connects to a rectangle port on your TV.
The pairing of the Xbox Wireless Headset works in the same way as it does with the Xbox Wireless Controller with the Xbox Series X|S or Xbox One console:
- Make sure the headset and console are both turned on.
- For 4 seconds, press and hold the headset’s green power button (placed on the back of the left earcup). The power light on the headset will begin blinking, and you will hear a repeating pairing tone.
- On your console, press the Pair button (the same button you use to pair a wireless controller with your console). The console’s power light will begin to flash.
- The power light will stop blinking once the headset is connected to your console.
There are a few ways to make this possible; here, we will tell you how to do it.
With this method, you will need to connect your Xbox One to a PC with Windows. The PC is now the end-user device, and you can link your headphones to it to hear the audio.
Keep in mind that the PC and the console need to be connected to the same network to make this method work.
There are some extra steps you will have to follow:
- Download the app on your PC and sign in to your Microsoft account.
- Activate the app on your PC and connect to your Xbox One.
- In the upper left corner of the app, there is an Add a device option. When you click on it, Windows will look for the Xbox. It will connect once it is detected.
- After connected, you may use your computer to control the Xbox features.
This is similar to the PC technique, except that instead of a computer, you use a TV. The Xbox One HDMI cable must be connected to your TV.
Once connected, you must use your TV remote to select the video source to HDMI where the console is connected. Then connect the Bluetooth headphones to the TV; if done correctly, the audio should begin working immediately.
This is a reasonably easy way; if you do not have a computer handy, all you need is your smartphone or tablet to connect your headset or earbuds.
- Connect your headphones to your smartphone or tablet.
- Download and install the Xbox app, then log into your account.
- Click on Parties in the app, then Start a Party.
- Choose Party Controls and then Change Audio Device.
- Now, pick a Bluetooth device and make the necessary adjustments.
You can also use a Bluetooth transmitter to connect your headphones or earbuds to the Xbox controller. These are useful if your headphones and earbuds are incompatible with the Xbox One.
To connect it, you must:
- Turn on your Bluetooth transmitter.
- Now, insert the transmitter into the Xbox controller’s 3.5mm audio slot.
- Turn on your headphones and place them in pairing mode.
- Press the pairing button on your Bluetooth transmitter for approximately 5 seconds, and it should show a steady LED once linked.
- After connecting it, you should be able to hear sounds through your headphones.
It is possible to use your regular earbuds on Xbox One, especially when using a wired one but in addition, over here, we go over our best gaming headphones for under $100 to help you find the right pair at the right price.
You need to keep in mind a few other considerations, like the type of cable of your earbuds, to know if they will work and how to make them work.
We even talked about adapters and other types of connections that can be used during your gaming sessionâ€”and going wireless?
Going wireless with your regular earbuds or headsets on the Xbox One can be tricky, complicated, a little too much, but not impossible. We gave you a few methods to try and find the one you feel most comfortable with.